Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Is Wild Star the clone of World of Warcraft


Despite the fact that I still think their player character models are unexciting ,I’m already looking forward to WildStar.

Much of my anticipation is simply because their videos are quite good and have a fun tone. I also really like some of the new gameplay ideas we’ve seen so far, such as Paths. But probably the biggest reason I’m looking forward to the game is that the devs are not promising new paradigms or pillars or any of the other grandiose claims we’ve seen in MMOs recently. Instead I get the feeling that Carbine is trying to make an updated WoW in Space, and I am pretty okay with that.

They’ve certainly referenced old school WoW quite a bit in their development, helped by the fact that Carbine includes over 17 lead and senior developers who once worked for Blizzard. (Caydiem, one of the original WoW Blues, is on the staff too.) There are 20 and 40-man raids for the 1%. Resource nodes are not instanced, and mobs are taggable. You have hotbars with many skills. There’s a hit rating stat. Old school, people.

But wait — this appreciation of the Burning Crusade school of MMO design is tempered by features straight out of 2013, like incredibly robust player housing, remote quest turnins, in-combat dodging and double-jumping, and a twist on the multi-guild idea called “circles“. And, yes, promises of ample content for level-capped solo players.

It’s this combination of old school attitudes with new school quality-of-life features that has me most excited for WildStar and buy wildstar gold . Many games have come out in the last few years that directly mimiced WoW, usually with limited success, and I’ve done my fair share of complaining about “WoW clones”. For whatever reason though WildStar feels less like a clone and more like an update. It’s not quite the old school grind of Burining Crusade, but it’s also not quite the solo gaming of Guild Wars 2.

Of course the proof is in the playing, so who knows if the game will actually live up to its promises. For now, though, consider me a tentative passenger on the train to hype town.

No comments:

Post a Comment